Old 03-06-2008, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Tell me more about nipping out broad bean tips

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
I've never grown broad beans before but mine, sown in March I think, are
now about 8" high with lots of flowers.

There's no sign of blackfly on them but I'm sure I've heard something
about nipping out the tips being a preventative.

What's regarded as the tip? A couple of leaves or the lot above the
flowers?

What's the purpose?

TIA

Mary

Just found the packet, they were Suttons and dwarf. Pinching out the tips
was suggested as a blackfly prevention.

Should have read the packet first, innit!

Mary