Old 03-06-2008, 11:37 PM posted to aus.gardens
Anne Chambers[_2_] Anne Chambers[_2_] is offline

Default Avocado question

Bill wrote:
In article ,
Anne Chambers wrote:

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/avocado.html

Harvest: The time of harvest depends upon the variety. Commercial
standards requires fruit to reach 8% oil content before harvesting.
Mexican types ripen in 6 - 8 months from bloom while Guatemalan types
usually take 12 - 18 months. Fruits may continue enlarging on the tree
even after maturity. Purple cultivars should be permitted to color fully
before harvest. Guatemalan types can be stored firm, at 40 - 50° F. for
up to six weeks. Mexican types discolor quickly and require immediate
consumption.

Thanks, Bill - I did see that ....but how do I know when 8% oil content
is reached ? I don't know if I have a Mexican type, a Guatemalan type
or if it's a purple cultivar. I was really hoping someone growing
avocados in a similar climate in Australia would be able to help.

Thanks for your time.

--
Anne Chambers,
South Australia