Old 03-06-2008, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Cuttings

The message
from jane contains these words:

~I should be getting a little motorcycle combination on the road soon -
~may I come too, please?

It's a bit wet at the moment! Said bush is currently (argh)
barricading the path into my fruit area, it's such a thug. I shall
have open season on it in the autumn. Needs a good prune!

Well, cuttings should be at home as my domicile is amongst the tail-end
of the Chilterns - they swoop down towards London, curl over that town,
push their way through Hertfordshire, and Essex, then curl up through
Suffolk to God's own county.

I'm growing about 30 yards of fruit in a wide bed. Hedge of trees at the
back, cordoned-off, so to speak, and consisting of things like apples,
Japanese quince, apricots, peaches, any plummy things I can get to fruit
under those conditions, etc, with other soft fruit bushes in front, and
strawberries, herbs and so-on in front of those.

There will be the odd tree amongst the hedge: I have a hole ready-dug
into which I'm dropping old bones (not mine), leather, woollens, etc,
compost and so-on, and which will be followed by the rooty end of a
Charles Ross apple tree. I expect to plant a big quince and a damson in
the line, and have a Devonshire Quarenden and a medlar elsewhere.

I'll put up some pics of progress. I think you'll find some early ones
at http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/garden.htm - but it's all at very
early stages, and more has been planted, and even more hedging removed.
I ran out of up-and-download allocation on this Vodafone Lite (sic)
mobile broadbean dongle.

Since that time a bonfire has been making potash out of the Lonicera
wossname cuttings, while the larger bits are being saved for winter
heating.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig