Old 03-06-2008, 08:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default Killing frogs

wrote:

The older the culture, the more likely they will eat whatever is EDIBLE no
matter how
bad it tastes. The older the culture the longer they have survived all
kinds of
starvation events. OK OK .. so I am referring to the Chinese. We once
went to a new years celebration with Chinese friends and their family and
one of the traditional
specialties was "sea cucumber". It was the nastiest, slimiest mess I have
ever put in my mouth and spit out immediately.

[that, unfortunately, leads me to wonder what was the nastiest slimiest mess
you put in your mouth and _didn't_ spit out immediately, but perhaps we
shouldn't go there]

My wife & I and another couple went to a Chinese New Year dinner, and my
friend still calls it our "Fear Factor" meal. I quite enjoyed it - after
all it's better than they cook in English schools - though I draw the line
at duck's feet. otoh, we didn't have sea cucumber. They collect them
off-shore here and send them to Asia - nobody here will eat them. otoh,
lots of locals won't eat lobster either - "poor folks food".

Sorry, but if it needs salsa or hot peppers or garlic up the ying yang in
order to be edible, or if it has to be hidden (zucchini) then it just isnt
making it onto my

LOL. I feel pretty much the same way about zucchini (and okra). I imagine
they're just milder forms of sea cucumber. I've had good zucchini exactly
once.
--
derek