Old 04-06-2008, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default What's this?

In article 2008060410341816807-adm1@fastmailfm, adm
writes
Anybody know what this is? I presume it's a perennial weed of some sort
as it keeps popping up again.

http://www.dentonmiller.net/Site/Stu...6/4_WEEDS.html

Right now, I'm trying to build a raised bed from railway sleepers, and
the area that will be enclosed is full of this stuff, so I want to know
the best way to deal with it.....should I glyphosate it then pull it
all out and just chuck new topsoil over the top, or is it something
that needs to be dug out first?

Looks like annual weed to me . Might be rose bay willow herb? Anyway
on no account let it flower or even worse, seed! Should be really easy
to pull up from wet ground or even hoe off.
If it's really a swine to get out of the ground then I'm wrong and it
has long tap roots which you don't want to break. Generally weeds grow
from the tiniest bit of tap root left, if they are perennials.
Annuals are no problem, just how them off at ground level.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph