Old 04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
redtail redtail is offline
Registered User

Question old bluebell, tulip, daffodil foliage - to cut or not to cut?!

Being totally new to gardening, i need some advice.
I have several bunches of leaves in my garden from daffodils, crocuses, tulips but mostly bluebells and i want to know whether or not i can cut them back.
And would the foliage have to be actually cut or can i just pull the leaves out of the ground - will doing this damage the bulbs in any way?

I know that bulbs gain energy for next years flowering from the old leaves but how long should i leave them for? The flowerbed looks a right mess and i have other plants i'd like to put in there as soon as possible.

Also, am i supposed to leave tulip bulbs in the ground or dig them up after they've flowered? My dad says dig em up, my friend says leave em in - who's right?!

Any advice would really be appreciated