Old 04-06-2008, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Elderflower cordial

On 4/6/08 17:57, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jun 4, 2:59 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 4/6/08 12:35, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jun 4, 9:59 am, Sacha wrote:
It's that time again. Anyone else going to make some?

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Only if you tell me how to!

Judith

It's very easy but it smells of cat's pee, so you might like to let it stand
somewhere that it won't offend your nostrils while it's 'brewing'.

Ingredients
30 elderflower heads
6 pints (approx. 3 litres) of boiling water
2lb (900g) caster sugar or preserving sugar
1 packet of citric or tartaric acid (available from chemists)
2 unwaxed oranges
3 unwaxed lemons

Method
1. Gently rinse over the elderflowers to remove any dirt or little
creatures.
2. Pour the boiling water over the sugar in a very large mixing bowl. Stir
well and leave to cool.
3. Add the citric acid, the oranges and lemons sliced, and then the flowers.
4. Leave in a cool place for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. Strain through some muslin and bottle and freeze.

It's a sticky business but I pour mine into those individual ice cube bags
because one cube is just right for one drink and if you defrost a few a day,
they'll keep in a jug in the fridge for a few days anyway.
The undiluted cordial is lovely poured over gooseberries.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

Thanks Sacha, I wonder if this acid is available at our chemist in
France or whether lemon juice would be a good alternative?

Judith

I can't answer that, having absolutely no knowledge of chemistry! I think
it's part of the preserving process, so possibly not. I DO know that it can
be hard to find because addicts use it to 'cut' heroin with. I found this
out because I had great difficulty getting hold of it one year and our local
chemist told me why. This year, they've ordered it for me and others, of
course!