Old 04-06-2008, 01:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
DavidM[_2_] DavidM[_2_] is offline

Default settling clay silt

~ jan wrote, On 04/06/2008 01:03:
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 15:07:51 EDT, "DKat" wrote:

When I pulled out my plants to feed them I decided they needed some more
'soil'. All I had on had was some white clay I was going to recycle from
pottery and thought what the hey - I should say I didn't think at all. Long
story short my pond now looks like milk and it has been quite a few days
with no signs of settling out. The fish could care less but I would like
something a little less... artificial looking. What can I add to the water
that will not hurt the fish and plants but that will help precipitate out
the silt? Donna

P.S. Nice to have the room back

Water changes or you could use a flocculent, like AccuClear. Course if it
just settles to the bottom and isn't sucked out into a filter the fish will
most likely just stir it up again. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Our soil contains lots of clay and after a storm blew a few plants to
the bottom of the pond it turned cloudy. There was no chance of seeing
the fish unless they came to the surface. I solved our problem using
nylon filter wool. It comes in different thicknesses 8 - 30 mm I think,
but can also be layered up for a better effect. It cleared our water in
about two weeks. I've described it in an earlier post "Clearing algae
and silt loaded water".
Good luck with yours.

--
DavidM