Old 04-06-2008, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Elderflower cordial

"Judith in France" wrote in message

We don't make the cordial but I make elderflower 'champagne' ('fizz' for the
purists):

ELDERFLOWER CHAMPAGNE
a.. 50 elderflower heads
b.. 3 2lb bags of caster sugar
c.. 11 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
d.. 25 litres of cold water
e.. 11 large lemons
Pick the elderflowers when fully out and shake to remove insects. Place the
flowers in a cloth bag, seal it and put it into the water with the sugar,
vinegar, juice and zest from the lemons. Mix well, cover and stand for 72
hours. Bottle and leave for 2 weeks releasing the fizz every couple of days
or the bottles will burst.

I use plastic fizzy drink bottles which I beg from friends because we don't
use them. PET bottles will withstand the pressure. You really do have to
release the pressure regularly. The plastic bottles I use would not stand up
to the fiercest pressure because it rounds out the bottoms, but they do not
burst. I have known glass bottles explode on rare occasions, and for the
screw tops to be blown off. If you release the fizz and don't leave the
bottles in a warm place you should be alright.

You can reduce the amounts in proportion and make smaller batches. The drink
is ideal for barbecues with plenty of ice. Or just on a warm summer
afternoon, sitting in the garden and being civilised :-)

Mary