Old 05-06-2008, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default -OT Political observations

Persephone wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 20:19:24 -0500, Jangchub
wrote:

[...]

Our voting system is archaic and needs a major overhaul.

[...]

Understatement of the millennium! Whole thing is shot to
****.

First thing is get the money out of politics. It is downright
obscene how the ****ing media kept running tabs on who raised the most
money! As if that had anything to do with their qualifications for
office. The power of those near-criminal lobbyists must somehow be
restricted without trampling on their ****ing First Amendment rights.

Next thing is to do away with "winner takes all" for each state, and
institute a proportional system. Flush the Electoral College down the
toilet where it belongs. Let the popular vote determine.

The Founders left us a system that has been the envy of the world.
It's sad how we're allowing it to be trashed; what kind of country
are we leaving our children!

Persephone

Don't get me wrong, I am agreeing with you mostly. However, many folks need
to research what the need for the delegate system was when instituted. That
is, what was the original purpose of the delegate system, why was it
created? Why is it inappropriate now on the basis of why the delegate
system was originally created?

No, regarding state to state. If you're going to use the popular vote,
simply the number total for all states determine the victor. No wishy-washy
stuff.

Most children that I know are of the opinion that they are deserving of
everything, no work or allegiance to anyone involved. No genuine
participation and/or familiarity with reality is needed. The parents coddle
them to hell.
--
Dave