Old 05-06-2008, 06:11 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default special about animal intestine why not one name for all-- stolon,rhizomes, runners; strawberries

Sean Houtman wrote:
wrote in news:594139d9-3345-4ad2-85eb-
:

So clover calls it stolon and brome grass calls it rhizomes and
strawberries call it runners.

Why not just call them all one name of rhizomes.

A horizontal stem that is above ground is called a stolon, if it is below
ground, it is a rhizome. Strawberry runners are stolons. Iris rhizomes are
stolons too. Bermuda grass grows both.

Confused yet?

Naming is not actual science. But let me ask you a question of
science.

If I had a wagon load of grass clippings to spread on a lawn as
fertilizer and if instead
I fed the grass clippings to a horse so it goes through the intestine
of a horse and
then spread the horse manure.

Does the horse intestine add nitrogen to the manure? And is there more
nitrogen in
horse manure than in grass clippings that decompose?

I want to know the value of going through an animal intestine as
opposed to vegetation
that decomposes for fertilizer.

Has anyone quantified the nitrogen that comes from animal intestine
versus vegetation
decomposition.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium