Old 06-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Larry Blanchard

Default Two seed-starting questions

In article ,
says...
Pat Meadows wrote:

Two seed-starting questions...

1. How do you put small seeds in the little six-cell packs
(or whatever else you use)? Do you use a gadget for placing
seeds?

I just shake a number of seeds out of the packets onto the palm of my
left hand and then put two each into each starting pot. You can always
pinch one off but two gives better odds of good germination.

I guess I'm a pessimist :-). I use 3 seeds the 1st year, 4 for last
year's leftovers, and 5 for any older than that. I still wind up with
two or three pots a year (out of 50-75) with no growth. But I plant an
extra pot of each veggie.

I pour a few seeds onto a piece of paper and handle them with tweezers.
There are a few whose shape requires the "wet point" variety, but not
many.

2. How do you keep seeds?

I'm keeping them in their packets, but this isn't really a
terrific system - in the case of succession plantings, I'm
cutting a bit more off the packet each time (and
scotch-taping it together).

I keep some in their packets and some in paper coin envelopes. You can
get about a zillion coin envelopes for a couple of bucks at an office
supply store. I don't cut the packets down, I scotch tape the opening
shut, that way I have all the data on hand.

Same here. If you slit the packet open each time with a knife, there's
no need to keep cutting it down.

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic