Old 05-06-2008, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Robertson Brian Robertson is offline

Default Advice for complete (Well, almost complete) newbies.

Hi all. We are Brian and Sue, just moved into a new house with a
large(ish) garden. We want to turn a big portion of it into a vegetable
patch (Initially about 20ft x 20ft with lots of other space for pots and
grow gags, possibly double that in time) and would be interested to know
what people think we should start with. We want to put the emphasis on
actually being able to fill our bellies rather than growing stuff that
flavours our food and isn't an essential. So things like potatoes and
carrots and cucumbers come to mind, rather than garlic and chives, etc.
It's a south facing garden and a real sun trap.

We can think about crop rotation, etc, later on, but for the minute,
what would people recommend us to go at as a happy balance between
learning about gardening and eating lots of organic food?

Brian and Sue.