Old 05-06-2008, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default -OT Political observations

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill R wrote:

Bill wrote:
In article ,
Bill R wrote:

Bill wrote:

I voted for him in the primary but I
wonder why Hilary stalled.

crap deleted

Why do some of you people find it necessary to post off-topic political
CRAP in our garden newsgroup?

In case you don't know it there are dozens of newsgroups and hundreds
of
website where you can discuss politics.

PLEASE, let's keep the politics OUT of this newsgroup. Some of us do
gardening to escape (a little). And for the record, I AM interested in
politics, but NOT here.

Well I find gardener's to possess extremely grounded opinions. Don't
like what I write is why god created kill files.

Bill

Why should I need this create kill files because some inconsiderate
person like you decides to "make" this another political newsgroup?

Please have a little respect for the charter of this newsgroup and use
it for what it is for -- discussion of gardening.

As I said, there are MANY other places to discuss politics. PLEASE use
them for politics and let us discuss gardening HERE.

I need to ask if the price of food isn't political, if the reduced
bio-diversity of the seed we buy isn't political, if the quality (crops
designed for quantity and shelf life instead of nutrition) and quantity
(of nutrient poor processed foods) of our food isn't political, if the
information we receive about nutrition from our HMOs and government
isn't political, if the concentration of control over our food supplies
isn't political, if the production (supposedly regulated) and
distribution (to the Seven-Elevens of our inner cities) of our food
isn't political, if the treatment of consumers of food isn't cut from
the same whole cloth as is our military and social policies. Growing a
garden means that the food that is available commercially, isn't
acceptable to us (be it esthetics, cost, flavor, or health risks) and I
believe, that is a political statement.

This is a general newsgroup about the broad spectrum of nurturing
vegetative life, and like it or not, there is a political dimension to
it.

In a perfect world, this would not be the case, and we could spend our
time trying to perfect the perfect carrot or whatever. We try to monitor
ourselves, and ****ing and moaning about perceived excesses is your
right as part of the group, and I'm sure it will some have an effect.
Unfortunately, political policies do affect food production, including
gardening.

Billy look at this before it goes away. I think of this as profiting
by starvation.

"When crop prices are climbing, holding inventory for future sale can
yield higher profits than selling to meet current demand, for example.
Or if prices diverge in different parts of the world, inventory can be
shipped to the more profitable market."

"Mr. Duryea of the Ospraie fund dismissed the idea that financial
investors, with obligations to suppliers and customers of their
elevators and fertilizer services, would put their thumb on the
supply-demand scale by holding back inventory to move prices
artificially."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/bu...1&hp&oref=slog
in

Ps I saved the doc as an image.

I'll think I'll go outside for awhile....

Its A Beautiful Morning 2:31 Young Rascals Oldies MPEG
audio file

This has already happened in India. I first heard of it from the
writings of Vandana Shiva.
http://www.alrc.net/doc/mainfile.php...statements/417
India represents a fifth of the worlds population and is said to be the
worlds largest democracy. Should we be surprised when this
business paradigm comes to America, given our present POLITICAL
atmosphere?
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars