Old 05-06-2008, 02:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Willshak Willshak is offline

Default clover lawn - need advice

on 6/3/2008 9:11 AM said the following:
On Jun 3, 5:06 am, Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Alan Illeman said:

[...]

How does one kill off clover?

Take your pick:

2,4-D
Glyphosate
Corn gluten meal
Hand-pull it

--

Eggs

-"God is dead." - Nietzsche
-"Nietzsche is dead" - God

One of the common herbicide companies, might be Ortho?, makes a
product specifically labeled for clover and similar. Don't remember
what chemical they used, but I'd look for it at the garden shop. I
used it and it worked. Clover is harder to kill than typical
broadleaf weeds because it has a waxy type leaf.

They used to sell a small bottle of some oily liquid that was added to
the herbicide spray to help it stick to those waxy type leaves. I think
I got it in an Agway store way back when they were still around here. I
haven't seen it anywhere lately and don't remember what it was called. I
have tried using a liquid hand soap to the herbicide mixture, but it
doesn't work as well.
I spray with a two gallon hand pump sprayer and found that adjusting the
nozzle to a fine mist is better on clover in that it doesn't run off the
leaves as readily as bigger drops.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY