Old 05-06-2008, 03:18 PM posted to aus.gardens
Seaman Staines Seaman Staines is offline

Default Avocado question

"Anne Chambers" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
In article ,
Anne Chambers wrote:

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/avocado.html

Harvest: The time of harvest depends upon the variety. Commercial
standards requires fruit to reach 8% oil content before harvesting.
Mexican types ripen in 6 - 8 months from bloom while Guatemalan types
usually take 12 - 18 months. Fruits may continue enlarging on the tree
even after maturity. Purple cultivars should be permitted to color fully
before harvest. Guatemalan types can be stored firm, at 40 - 50° F. for
up to six weeks. Mexican types discolor quickly and require immediate
consumption.

Thanks, Bill - I did see that ....but how do I know when 8% oil content is
reached ? I don't know if I have a Mexican type, a Guatemalan type or if
it's a purple cultivar. I was really hoping someone growing avocados in a
similar climate in Australia would be able to help.

Thanks for your time.

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1939805.htm
A lot of people wonder about the right time to harvest an avocado. Wait
until the first one falls to the ground, and put that in the cupboard, keep
it for about a fortnight to ripen and it'll be ready to eat. And at that
stage you know that you can harvest them from the tree. When the little
button at the top starts to change colour and goes a bit lighter, just snip
it off, put it in a brown paper bag, put it in the pantry for about a week
to a fortnight and it will get soft and it will be magnificent.