Old 06-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Warren

Default How to lose customers - vent

Snooze wrote:

It's like rebates, they know that such a small percentage of the

customers
will return with a complaint, it's not even worth the bother. A $2

packet
costs the store $1.

They loose the $1 they paid to the supplier, and the $1 of net revenues
they booked a few months back. After expenses, you may be talking about
a dime of actual profit, and $1.90 that they'll need to make up by
selling 19 more packets.

For that $2 seed packet, they probably also sold $5 in soil, another

$5 in
fertilizer, plus $10 for those mini-greenhouse starter and those tiny
compressed peat tablets.

Could be. But if somebody is in your store pitching a fit about a $1.89
packet of seeds that they had bad luck with, who's to say they aren't
going to be returning all those other things, too.

I'm surprised they don't just give away the seed. It would be like

Gillette
giving away the razor blade set , knowing you'll buy plenty of razors

from
them in the long run.

Good idea, assuming your mark-up on those other things is greater than
your mark-up on the seeds. But what will you do with someone shows up
three months from now with an empty seed packet, and wants a refund for
the whole package deal because it didn't produce well?

Toxic "customers" can bring your business down pretty fast if you let
them. Somebody who takes the time to come to your store to demand a
refund for a $1.89 seed packet that they don't have a receipt for
because they weren't satisfied with the results of their own growing is
someone who might as well be wearing a t-shirt that says, "I'll complain
about the smallest thing, whether or not it's your fault, and expect you
to foot the bill."

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.