Old 06-04-2003, 06:33 PM
Michael Berridge

Default Apple tree Pruning

Pete wrote in message ...
I recently purchased 6 apple trees, Stella, Jonagold, Gravenstein,
Fuji, Priscilla and Elstar, Each about 6ft in height, but i am not to
sure on pruning them for best shape and fruit bearing, or does it
matter?

Basically it depends on whether your apples are tip bearing or spur
bearing. Tip bearing means that they produce flower buds on the new
growth from last year, Spur bearing they produce flower buds on small
spurs and produce them there for year after year. Spur bearers cam be
pruned in winter to the spur, I've actually seen such trees pruned
back to the same place year after year, but tip bearers need to have the
new growth just trimmed back a few inches or you will prune out all the
flower buds.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk