Old 06-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Dr Lawn Dr Lawn is offline
Registered User

Location: Dunmow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony w View Post
Hi All,

Well, I am at that point where the first cut is required, and I don't want to pull up the grass shoots, so what mower type is needed? I recall seeing a thread that detailed a rotary mower, but from my POV, all mower types are rotary; whether the rotary motion is vertical or lateral is the key point.

Which one do I need then, the vertical axis mower or the lateral axis mower?

PLUS, I've noticed some of my neighbours have left their newly seeded grass to grow up to 4 inches or more, but I though you should cut it before it reaches that height...... but they might know more than me.......

thanking you.....
Grass is tuff stuff, Dont let it get up to 4 inches, cut it when it gets to about 2 inches, and keep it at about 1 inch.
99% of mowers in the UK are rotary, the cylinder ones do cut the grass better they shear it rather than swiping at it. But there a lot more bother. Also I have found that most cylinder mowers cut too close for a healthy sward.
If you can borrow a roller it would be a good time to roll the grass. (Probably the only time that its ever needed) New grass will be pushe over by the mower and the shoot inside the yiller will be allowed to pop out and thicken up the grass. Also it firms up the soil which will be loose from the new sowing.

I hope I have done this right .. its the first time I've posted in a forum.
Bye!