Old 06-06-2008, 05:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
D Kat D Kat is offline

Default settling clay silt

Thanks for posting the link. That sure looks like what I have (and yes it
did fill up with silt quickly). I wonder what it is called here (U.S.)? A
web search did nothing for me and the quilt batting search came up with it
all listed as polyester. Could U.S. and U.K use different words for
polyester and nylon? Oh, well - this is just curiosity at this point. What
I have works and looks like what you call nylon wool. So Americans take
note - synthetic quilt batting makes for a nice emergency filter for super
fine particles. The water is still a tiny milky but I like it as it is so I
will not be disappointed if the deflocculated does nothing.

Donna

Your quilt padding is probably exactly the same material as my nylon
filter wool. But if you want to see exactly what I used, it was purchased
form here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RVS-Aquatics
It clogs pretty quickly. That's why it does a good job at taking out fine
particles, so you probably don't want to wrap it around the pump or
somewhere it might cause overflows.
I once used a chemical flocculant and it cleared the pond overnight.
However I tried it a year later and nothing happened. These things seem to
be very pH dependent, they cause very subtle surface changes to the
suspended material and require that your pond meets the exact conditions
on the label.
Hope it clears soon.

--
DavidM