Old 06-06-2008, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Night Scented Stock in propagator has started to shoot - what

On 6/6/08 07:55, in article net,
"Tom" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Very basically, if you put them in huge pots to begin with, they drown - too
much water to too little root system=rot=death of the plant. It's a bit
like people watering houseplants and letting them stand in water in the pot
container. They get to a point where they can't take up more water but the
compost is still wet so they just rot off and die.

Thanks a lot!

One of the old garden sayings was "grow a large plant in a small pot". This
allows the plant to take up nourishment and develop a strong root system
before it's either potted on or put out into a flower bed. Small plants put
into pots that are too large are sort of 'suffocated' by having too much
compost around them.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk