Old 06-06-2008, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
keith kent keith kent is offline

Default Night Scented Stock in propagator has started to shoot - whatdo I do next??? :-)

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 5/6/08 17:59, in article
net,
"Tom" wrote:

K wrote:

Try Nicotiana - the white forms, or Nicotiana silvestris. Powerful
scent, and much bigger plants than night scented stock. Different scent,
so nice to grow both.

Hey brilliant, THANKS a lot for all the advice.

Out of interest, what is the reason for gradually using larger and
larger pots, rather than just putting them in large pots straight away.

I know using larger and larger ones is the correct way to do it - I just
don't know why :-)

Very basically, if you put them in huge pots to begin with, they drown -
too
much water to too little root system=rot=death of the plant. It's a bit
like people watering houseplants and letting them stand in water in the
pot
container. They get to a point where they can't take up more water but
the
compost is still wet so they just rot off and die.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

When you plant out nicotiana watch for the slugs/snails they stripped all
mine bare lasy year within a week !So i lost them all .

Keith