Old 07-06-2008, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected][_2_] man@privacy.net[_2_] is offline

Default Is 10-10-10 appropriate fertiliser for tomatoes

On Fri, 30 May 2008 18:18:24 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

:On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:52:37 -0500, Ignoramus22089
wrote:
:
::I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
::gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
::lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
::feed type, just feed).
::
::Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
:eppers and so on.
::
::Thanks
:
:I too was turned off by what I saw at Home Depot and bought nothing. I
:usually use a 5-10-5 or 5-10-10. Last few years I've used 15-30-15
:Miracle Grow, only 1/3rd as much. I'm looking around for alternatives
:now, but finding nothing I like. Used to be I could buy a 20 lb bag of
:5-10-5 for $8 or so in a local hardware store but I haven't been able to
:find anything like that anywhere. It boggles my mind, frankly.

I found an inexpensive source, being a 20 lb bag of 16-16-16 at Ace
Hardware. Brand is Shultz, and it includes micronutrients. They market
it as pretty much all purpose including vegetables (photo of tomato). I
figure it might be a little high on the N, but I think my tomatoes are a
bit N starved at the moment, anyway. I plan to use it very sparingly and
it will probably last me for a few years since I've determined to lean
on homemade compost very heavily. I figure with enough compost, very
little is needed in the way of commercial fertilizer (if any).

Dan