Old 07-06-2008, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Mr_Markham Mr_Markham is offline

Default rugosas refuse to bloom!

On Jun 6, 10:38*pm, "Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote:
I have a half dozen verities of hybrid Rugosa, including, 'Thérèse Bugnet',
which is very similar to delicata, and they seem to bloom just fine. *Are
you feeding them and if so, does it have enough phosphorus? *They grow in
all types of soil for me , so I don't think that's your problem.
I agree with Martin, if you have hips, you've had some kind of bloom. *Are
you saying you see no buds at all?

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

"Mr_Markham" wrote in message

I have had rugosa roses in the backyard for two years now, and they
have not yet bloomed! Hips on *one (delicata) but that was it. Does
anyone know what is up? the soil is 3/4 regular dirt, 1/4 sandy soil.
PS No, I don't think it's deer! *;-)- Hide quoted text -

Hmm you may be right, there might be a surfeit of nitrogen and not
enough phosphorus? I'll put on my horticulture hat on and find out.