Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Uncovered a rabbit nest iin my half-barrel planter

Nelly Wensdow wrote:
Um, thanks, but besides not being pet-quality (the adults are
actually
slightly ugly) I'm pretty sure they would die. There are at least
five of them all snuggled together, about 3" down into the soil, and
right now they are not much bigger than mice (which I initially
thought they were, but they're definitely rabbits).

I really want to encourage the mom to come get them out of there.
She
must be one dumb bunny, because there are acres & acres of vacant
fields nearby and I further don't know why she'd put them 2 feet up,
inside a (then-empty) planter in a fairly high-traffic place outside
my front door. I've never been successful at rehabbing baby
bunnies...And, I don't want her dumb ass squashing or chewing on my
newly planted big-leaf Coleus, either.

No help on the rabbits, but your mention of poor judgment reminds me
of the time I lit the gas grill without looking inside and this mouse
went three feet in the air with his little whiskers crinkling up.
From the speed at which he disappeared into the distance I suspect
that he wasn't badly damaged by the experience, but this was way out
in the country where there were a vast number of better places for a
mouse-nest than in a gas grill.

Persephone wrote in message
Ask a pet store if they want to take them for sale?

And try not to think about their fate once sold to careless buyers

Persephone

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)