Old 07-06-2008, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default Weed/Plant identification.

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Russel Sprout" wrote in message

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
Would someone kindly identify this weed/plant for me.

It is about 18" tall, has leaves very similar to those of a

foxglove and
at first sight it could easily be mistaken for a foxglove. Its

flowers
are almost identical to those of a Lithodora 'Heavenly Blue'.
http://tinyurl.com/5ganxe
It has woody roots which are fairly deep and clump forming and is

very
invasive, particularly by self seeding.

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

I'l have a guess at Borage.

http://www.rawrob.com/wp-content/upl.../04/borage.jpg

I wasn't able to view the original link as my computer's security said

it
was a "dangerous site" and removed the original post too! So purely

on the
description and the fact that Russel thinks it might be borage, I'll

have a
tentative guess at Pentaglottis sempervirens - Green Alkanet,

especially if
there are some small white spots on the leaves.
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/alkanet.htm
I have it myself and it is *very* invasive from self seeding. I don't

mind
a few plants though because the bees love it.

HTH.

Christina,

I am fairly sure that you have correctly identified my plant and I am
grateful to everyone who took part. Although the flowers are attractive
the plant gets everywhere and is a nuisance.

Many thanks,
Emrys Davies.