Old 08-06-2008, 01:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Default Mower problems

Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote:
Art wrote:
Dioclese wrote:
"dave" wrote in message

I have a Craftsman mower with a 6.5 hp B&S motor.

It didn't want to start this season. It has good fresh fuel and I
tried a new plug.
When I pull the cord there is nothing. When I pulled the plug it was
wet so I assumed that was the problem. DIdn't help either.
I sprayed starting fluid and it fired and ran for a moment until the
spray went away. If it was electrical it would not have run. Since
it ran on the starter fluid, it must be the carb,,, right? I am
assuming that maybe a jet is plugged. Am I heading down he right
path?

Thanks

Wet spark plug spells either too much gas, OR, not enough air. Clean
and oil the air filter first, then work on the gas thing end if not
successful.

In the spring time it usually means gas in the carb is so old it won't
even burn.

One winter does not make gas THAT old. I always start with old gas in
the spring.

Assuming the gas was fresh at the end of the season and stored properly
then you might be right. However, in real world conditions the gas could
very easily have been 6 months old already at the end of the cutting
season. Add to that another 5-6 months of improper storage and no
stabilizer, during the non-cutting season and you could very well have
gas THAT old.

The OP's description is classic "bad gas" symptoms.
1. It won't start at the beginning of the season.
2. He said he used fresh gas but didn't mention draining the carb.
3. It runs with starter fluid (simply replaces the gas) which means the
other engine systems are good.
4. The plug is wet which means the carb is delivering fuel. That points
to the fuel not igniting.

The fact that you always start with old gas is totally irrelevant to the
problem. By using that logic you could easily dismiss almost every
reason it would not start.

--
Art