Old 08-06-2008, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chris[_14_] Chris[_14_] is offline

Default Uncovered a rabbit nest iin my half-barrel planter

On Jun 7, 11:07 am, "Nelly Wensdow" wrote:
Just discovered them while trying to put in some big Coleus. What on earth
made them think it was a good place for a nest up off the ground, and what,
if anything, should I do? I don't want them in there. Will the mother move
them for me? Abandon them? What if I do (or don't) cover them back up? I'm
not sure if I hit one with my hand spade or not.

They're so widdle, I don't really want to kill them...at least not until
they start eating up all my plants, as they always do. We've already got a
ton of 'em around here, living underneath a shed out back. (And we're not
allowed to shoot them. In fact, it's illegal to even throw a snowball in
this town. Literally.)

Any suggestions?

If your municipality bans you from trapping them yourself (using a
live trap, like a Hav-A-Heart) then they should have some means of
animal control. Perhaps your county agricultural extension agent could
make a suggestion there? Most places will trap nuisance animals for
free, or low cost, and they would probably transport them to some
nearby wildlife area.

Good luck on that.

Chris