Old 08-06-2008, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Weed/Plant identification.

In article ,
"Pete Stockdale" writes:
| "Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in message
| In message , Russel Sprout
| writes
| "Emrys Davies" wrote in message
|
| It is about 18" tall, has leaves very similar to those of a foxglove and
| at first sight it could easily be mistaken for a foxglove. Its flowers
| are almost identical to those of a Lithodora 'Heavenly Blue'.
| http://tinyurl.com/5ganxe
| It has woody roots which are fairly deep and clump forming and is very
| invasive, particularly by self seeding.
|
| I'l have a guess at Borage.
|
| http://www.rawrob.com/wp-content/upl.../04/borage.jpg
|
| TinyURL is firewalled here, but I don't think that the description is of
| Borage. Bugloss (Anchusa) or Alkanet (Pentaglottis) has flowers more
| similar - at least superficially - to Lithodora than does Borage (Borago).
|
| Why is Tiny URL firewalled and where is here ?

No idea, but it's Alkanet, anyway. While it is invasive, it isn't
a major problem, as it doesn't regrow from deep roots and takes a
while for a seedling to become big enough to be a nuisance. I have
lots of it, and we quite like it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.