Old 08-06-2008, 04:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
chip chip is offline

Default Brand new to garden ponds

Gail Futoran wrote:
Many pond plants do fine taking
nutrients from the water column. I had my
hardy water lily in a pot, it outgrew it, I split
it several times, tossed it in other ponds and
the "babies" are doing fine without being
potted.

Many years ago I visited an exhibit sponsored by some agricultural firm
at DisneyWorld's EPCOT where they were growing corn? in nothing but air
and misting water. I remember being impressed by the huge size of the
plants and at the massive root systems just hanging there. Some on this
list may remember (or even still have some in their basement) as this is
a favored way to grow pot.

Dirt is simply a mechanical device to hold the plant in place, insulate
the roots from freezing or cooking, and provide a holding place for the
nutrients to reside while waiting for water to transport them to the
roots. If you anchor or allow the plants to float, have moderate
temperatures, and the water is already full of nutrients, Bob's your uncle.

BTW, how do bamboo roots pierce the liner? Do they have barbs?

Chip