Old 08-06-2008, 05:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
chip chip is offline

Default Will mosquitofish survive with a partial pool cover?

fpbear wrote:
Mosquitofish are taking care of a large pool at my mother's house in
Southern California (which she couldn't maintain anymore), and we are
thinking about putting a pool cover on a portion of it. Would the
mosquitofish still survive if we cover 90% of the pool? We would leave
a section open, of course, so that they could still feed a little bit.
Although I'm not sure if the cover would make the water too warm or
deprive the water with not enough sunlight or larvae food to sustain the
fish?

In Arizona, we have companies that specialize in either demo'ing the
pool and filling it in or empty it and build a platform deck over the
space. This may be a better solution to your Mother's problem. Don't
forget you can't see a drowning person in that green murky water.
Mosquitoes are the least of your worries.

Chip