Old 08-06-2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Is 10-10-10 appropriate fertiliser for tomatoes

Persephone wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 08:02:06 -0700, wrote:

On Fri, 30 May 2008 18:18:24 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

:On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:52:37 -0500, Ignoramus22089
wrote:
:
::I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
::gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
::lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
::feed type, just feed).
::
::Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
:eppers and so on.
::
::Thanks
:
:I too was turned off by what I saw at Home Depot and bought nothing. I
:usually use a 5-10-5 or 5-10-10. Last few years I've used 15-30-15
:Miracle Grow, only 1/3rd as much. I'm looking around for alternatives
:now, but finding nothing I like. Used to be I could buy a 20 lb bag of
:5-10-5 for $8 or so in a local hardware store but I haven't been able to
:find anything like that anywhere. It boggles my mind, frankly.

I found an inexpensive source, being a 20 lb bag of 16-16-16 at Ace
Hardware. Brand is Shultz, and it includes micronutrients. They market
it as pretty much all purpose including vegetables (photo of tomato). I
figure it might be a little high on the N, but I think my tomatoes are a
bit N starved at the moment, anyway. I plan to use it very sparingly and
it will probably last me for a few years since I've determined to lean
on homemade compost very heavily. I figure with enough compost, very
little is needed in the way of commercial fertilizer (if any).

Dan

How many NG members are using worm castings, or liquid worm castings,
for tomatoes and everything else g?

They're supposed to be spectacular in improving the soil (which
according to organic gardeners, helps plants more than chemical
fertilizers). I'm just at the beginning of my program, so wondered
about others' experiences.

TIA

Last year I mulched my peppers with shredded office paper. The worms
loved it; I had to replace it several times. The dirt was almost
nothing but worm castings by the end of the year.

I'm gonna do the same thing this year if it ever stops raining.

Bob