Old 06-04-2003, 08:08 PM
bnd777

Default Effects of dog on lawn

Urea is the fertilising ingredient in urine
Its the Amonia bit that does the damage

Years back Landlords of Pubs etc used to send the men to water the veg plot
apparently the celery was wonderful !!!!!!!!!

"mickeblue" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why areas of lawn that a dog has urinated on grow back
richer and greener, after the initial yellowing and apparent die back? Or

is
this some oddity unique to my own pooch?

He's still only a puppy and I haven't yet got him to avoid going on the
lawn. So I keep a hose to hand, and try to get water on the area quickly -
as I have found that if it is diluted soon after the event the die back is
minimal.

What amazes me though is that when the grass regrows, it is greener and

more
lush than the surrounding lawn ( a problem in itself! ). I thought if I
could find out for sure what is causing the boost in growth, the chemical
involved, I could get hold of some and treat the whole lawn. But what is

it?
Is it urea, or nitrogen? I have no idea.

Are there any gardeners with a bit of knowledge of chemistry that can

answer
this one?

Thanks.

( There's a pic of what I'm talking about here -
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickeblue/spots.html

---