Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nelly Wensdow Nelly Wensdow is offline

Default Uncovered a rabbit nest iin my half-barrel planter

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 11:48:53 -0500, Eggs Zachtly
wrote:

If humans weren't supposed to eat meat, then why do they have canine,
central, and lateral incisors? Were we supposed to be vegetarian, we would
have *only* molars. Humans are omnivores.

Omnivores can eat meat and or vegetables. I haven't eaten meat of any
kind in years and I don't lack anything nutritionally.

I always find it rather humorous when people play the "I saw a
slaughterhouse once..." card, to try and rationalize their point. Do you
think it was any more "humane" when prehistoric humanoids hunted their
food? Death to cattle in a slaughterhouse is much quicker than it was when
they were beat to death with a rock.

It's not a "card" I'm playing. Animals are electricuted. Nice. I
always find it amusing when someone uses the caveman card to compare
how they did it then vs. how they do it now. I would think we would
have been further along in the evolutionary tract to understand the
suffering humans cause to animals. My entire point was that I don't
kill anything in my garden and if the animals eat the food I grow I am
not freaked out by it. They have every right to live as I do. We
have overpopulated the planet with people. I hardly think anyone
posting on a computer to Usenet is in any danger of running out of
food. If they are, maybe they should sell the computer.

The whole planet is in danger, dear. By 2020 it's estimated we'll need 50%
more food. That is a lot of food. There are other reasons for growing your
own than money savings, and you know it. People who're too lazy to make a
tiny bit more efficient use of the space they're taking up probably deserve
to be all the poorer. But here I've been trying to grow, amongst other
things, enough cukes each year from just 2 plants. I have rabbits; ok, so
I'll plant 50+ seeds. 3 of the last 4 years, the rabbits got every last one
of 'em. Thankfully there's still enough grown elsewhere to go around...for
now. I'm going to try bloodmeal this year & see how it goes.

You're a vegetarian and no, there's nothing wrong with that. There's also
nothing wrong with not being one, either. I'm doing what any other species'
ancestors down along the evolutionary line have come to do; there's no shame
in that. But you were right about one thing; people have and still are
foolishly overpopulating the earth; too many take up more space than they
need; and they are also cruel, evil, heinous (& all your other adjectives)
when they harm other living creatures unnecessarily. But not because they're
omivores. Or might dare to be brave enough to humanely destroy rabbits
rather than see them suffer.

Which incidentally I may not have to worry about, AFA the babies. We've had
an alarming amount of torrential rains over the last couple of days here
(Midwest), it's pouring buckets now, and we are in for more over the next
week. That planter just never drained well when it got that soaked. I want
to check in on them so much, but I fear disturbing the nest further may make
it worse, assuming it's not already ruined. I spoke with someone who raises
rabbits who told me that for whatever reason, they do not move their nests.
So looks like the thing to do is just keep avoiding it & let the situation
run its course. But I'm going to be more than just depressed if I have to
remove starved-dead babies.