Old 09-06-2008, 02:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Goldlexus[_2_] Goldlexus[_2_] is offline

Default KingFisher decoys?

We have a blasted KingFisher that is visiting our pond and had taken
a couple of our goldfish I actually saw him take one of them and this
morning I heard him chattering as he attempted to get another. He failed
cause all the fish are hiding in the 'koi castle' (a net on aluminum frame
in the shape of a tunnel). They are still spooked by his attack Friday.
I saw on the internet these fake gold fish, that are weighted or tied down,
that are used as
decoys. Do they work? Read one story where a kingfisher got so frustrated
at trying to get the fake goldfish that he gave up. My thought is the
kingfisher
could go for the fake fish, make enough of a scene that all my fish could
hide
before being taken. Would that work? Has anyone tried it? Any other ideas?
It is so weird to be stalked by a kingfisher now. We have had fish in our
pond
for three years and never had anything bother our fish.