Old 09-06-2008, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
y_p_w y_p_w is offline

Default California poppies and peat pots

On Jun 3, 12:16 pm, ntantiques wrote:
Like I said, nothing ventured...Do have a thought about the deer
trampling your seedlings...Have learned it's well worth spending some
time observing deer traffic patterns before committing new plants to
the ground. Took us a while to adapt, but we co-exist fairly
successfully with a small herd that beds down in the woods behind our
house.

I've been replanting more seedlings that germinated indoors. I
probably shouldn't have during a hot sun, but they don't seem to have
wilted. Ovenight I noticed three deer prints. Two of the prints
seemed to have trampled some seedlings, including two that was coming
along very nicely. I've got several seedlings which are starting to
show the little ruffled leaves. I can sort of tell this is going to
happen when the color changes from a grass-like green to a darker blue-
green.

I can get some bamboo stakes. Maybe that will make the deer think
that they should walk around this little plot.

I'm also trying to condition some of the seedlings before
transplanting. I place them outdoors and see how they survive in the
heat. I've also tried placing them next to window in the garage.
They're coming out slanted as the direction of sunlight.