Old 09-06-2008, 05:07 PM posted to sci.chem,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default #4 exactly where is Nitrogen essential for plants; new book:

Sean Houtman wrote:
(snip)

Malcolm got his numbers from studies of the contstituents of grass and
animal manure. These studies use chemistry to extract the elements that are
contained in the substance studied. There are no bacteria involved in these
measurements, in fact, most of the nitrogen that is in the horse droppings
is contained within bacteria. These bacteria must die in order for plants
to be able to use the nitrogen they contain. That isn't a real problem
though, horse intestinal bacteria don't survive well in soil. Soil bacteria
will break down the grass clippings, using the nitrogen for their own
purposes, and then at some point, will die, and release their nitrogen to
the system that includes plants, to take it up and make protein out of.
Horses might eat the grass, but like most animals, they need protein, which
they extract from the grass in their intestines, which is why there is less
nitrogen in their droppings than in the food they eat.

Sean

Sean, I said as much in one sentence as what you are saying in a
paragraph.

I said that Malcolm was not including the bacteria that digest the
grass clippings and
that bacteria are part of the animal kingdom.

The problem here is not the science pursuit but the understanding of
my questions.

So let me ask you for a website that discusses the Nitrogen in plants
that makes proteins
in plants. Why is nitrogen essential in the making of proteins in
plants? And why is nitrogen
not essential in the making of proteins in animals.

I suppose that would have been the more clear question. So do you know
of a website,
Sean that begins to pinpoint where the Nitrogen is this essential
plant requirement whereas
this same nitrogen is not essential for the animal to perform that
function.

The Complimentarity of oxygen to carbon dioxide in respiration between
plants and animals
is readily seen and understood.

What is not readily seen and understood are the other Complements
between plants and
animals such as this Nitrogen to what? Is it sugars? Is it ATP?

The trouble I am having here, is that most biologists would never
dream or try to understand that
plants to animals is a Complimentary relationship, and that biologists
are very much naive
on this idea. That they see things only in a one way 1 dimensional
view.

So, Sean, can you point to a website that tells me where exactly is it
in plants that Nitrogen
is this essential ingrediant for which that same function in animals,
the nitrogen is not essential?

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium