Old 09-06-2008, 05:28 PM posted to sci.chem,sci.bio.botany
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default #4 Complementary relationship of nitrogen in plants to what in

Sean Houtman wrote:

The nitrogen in the grass clippings are going to be in the form of
proteins. The horse that eats them is going to extract as much of that
protein as it can for its own metabolism and use. Some of that will be
returned to you as the urea in the horse's urine, which is somewhat
easier for plants to access, as there are fewer steps involved in
bacteria turning it into a form that the plants can use. But in the end,
there is less nitrogen in the grass after the horse has finished with it
than before.

I am not chasing after the numbers of nitrogen atoms. I am chasing
after
the concept of "essential". So the question I am after is where in
plants
is this nitrogen "essential" whereas in animals, nitrogen was never
"essential" for that function. The function, I am guessing is, protein
synthesis.

So, I suppose that in protein synthesis in animals, nitrogen is
irrelevant. But
in plants, in order to do protein synthesis the nitrogen is essential.

So, Sean, can you point to a website that pinpoints this
essentialness.

What I hope to find is what molecules are the complimentary
counterpart
in animals.

I want to know the value of going through an animal intestine as
opposed to vegetation
that decomposes for fertilizer.

Going through the animal intestine benefits the animal. Some animals
grind the plant parts up quite a bit, but horses aren't one of them.

Has anyone quantified the nitrogen that comes from animal intestine
versus vegetation
decomposition.

That has been done as well. Animals extract more nitrogen from the
plants that they eat than they leave behind, until they die that is.

Sean

I do not expect biologists to readily accept or even understand
Complementarity
in biology. In fact, I expect this sort of meshing of minds, where
every word of a
sentence has a derailing potential.

The easiest way is to say " look at respiration in that plants need
carbon dioxide and
emit oxygen and animals need oxygen and emit carbon dioxide" Look at
that and
realize it is a complimentary relationship. Now, look at nitrogen in
plants as essential
so, where is the other half of the complimentary relationship?

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium