Old 09-06-2008, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nelly Wensdow Nelly Wensdow is offline

Default Uncovered a rabbit nest iin my half-barrel planter

"Jangchub" wrote in message

If I got you wrong I apologize. I've met far more people who
disregard life outside of human life. I also feed the birds, but I
have no way of NOT feeding non-native species. I provide nesting
areas for barn swallows, purple martins, wrens and other cavity
dwellers. We have a pair of boat tail grackles this year. Big,
honkin', loud things. Totally unafraid of people and generally fly in
flocks by the tens of thousands. I hope they don't all move in. I
still have no way of preventing starlings from eating out of the
feeders.

Anyway, you came off very harsh at first and now you are changing your
tune a bit so there is no longer an argument.

Yes, I do tend to sound gruff, but with me it's often something of an
affectation. For instance the part about "her dumb ass squashin' my
coleus", that probably should've had a smiley or something after it. So it's
not really that I was changing my tune exactly. Just gave the wrong
impression. Wasn't out to offend anyone's sensibilities.

I think the grackles did all move in here this year. There were none at all
last year, now BOOM. What a cacaphony among the beautiful songs of all the
other birds. But I wish I knew what to tell you about the starlings. They
are just the worst plague on native birds everywhere (besides humans, of
course). I've seen a few here starting just this year, but they've so far
stayed away from my feeders. House sparrows are a bigger problem for me, but
it's easy enough to just not buy anything with millet in it, or to never
toss any seed or breadstuff on the ground. I've been a local bluebird
monitor for a couple years, and if I thought I would live in this house a
while longer I might put up a box for them in the yard. But ohh, the
gruesome horrors those sparrows do to those poor birds.... And you probably
don't wanna know how I deal with them. Although, I could probably put up a
few boxes at the cabin (the woodland property) next time I get out there,
even though it's been years since I've even spotted any in that entire area.
Being so far away I couldn't monitor them or anything but I think whatever
nests in there might be safe from the HOSP due to its being pretty far from
civilization. I'll have to check how far they need to be from the farms &
granaries & such.

But getting back to the bunnies; today I saw them beginning to poke their
heads up under nest covering, so they somehow survived all the flooding
rains. Their eyes are now open, too. I'm told the momma only goes back to
the nest once a day to feed them, so I won't know if she did or not for a
bit I guess. AFA the population problem, I still have to see what I can find
out. Even if they get relocated, there's still the big hollow under the shed
& that'll have to be filled or else the others'll just move right on in. And
good luck getting this landlord to do it.