Old 09-06-2008, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
ChrisJ ChrisJ is offline

Default Uncovered a rabbit nest iin my half-barrel planter

Persephone wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 10:07:47 -0500, "Nelly Wensdow"
wrote:

Just discovered them while trying to put in some big Coleus. What on earth
made them think it was a good place for a nest up off the ground, and what,
if anything, should I do? I don't want them in there. Will the mother move
them for me? Abandon them? What if I do (or don't) cover them back up? I'm
not sure if I hit one with my hand spade or not.

They're so widdle, I don't really want to kill them...at least not until
they start eating up all my plants, as they always do. We've already got a
ton of 'em around here, living underneath a shed out back. (And we're not
allowed to shoot them. In fact, it's illegal to even throw a snowball in
this town. Literally.)

Any suggestions?

Ask a pet store if they want to take them for sale?

And try not to think about their fate once sold to careless buyers g

Persephone

If the OP is in North America, wild rabbits do not make good pets. The
domesticated rabbit is descended from European rabbits. North American
rabbits and European rabbits are not closely related and have totally
different social structure and behavior. Someone getting a young
American rabbit and expecting it to behave like a pet will be extremely
disappointed.

Chris