Old 09-06-2008, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Duncan Duncan is offline

Default Weed/Plant identification.

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Russel Sprout" wrote in message

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
Would someone kindly identify this weed/plant for me.

It is about 18" tall, has leaves very similar to those of a foxglove and
at first sight it could easily be mistaken for a foxglove. Its flowers
are almost identical to those of a Lithodora 'Heavenly Blue'.
http://tinyurl.com/5ganxe
It has woody roots which are fairly deep and clump forming and is very
invasive, particularly by self seeding.

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

I'l have a guess at Borage.

http://www.rawrob.com/wp-content/upl.../04/borage.jpg

I wasn't able to view the original link as my computer's security said it
was a "dangerous site" and removed the original post too! So purely on
the description and the fact that Russel thinks it might be borage, I'll
have a tentative guess at Pentaglottis sempervirens - Green Alkanet,
especially if there are some small white spots on the leaves.
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/alkanet.htm
I have it myself and it is *very* invasive from self seeding. I don't
mind a few plants though because the bees love it.

HTH.

I've got the same weed, and decided it must be green alkanet as nothing else
matches. Like Christina, mine has white splotches on the leaves, something
the descriptions I found didn't mention and this made me wonder about
identification. Up the street, in the park, it doesn't have the white spots.

I hate this plant. It is invasive, both self-seeding and perennial. Tiny
seedlings are 3ft monsters within days.The flowers are intense blue, and
unlike borage actually face upwards, but are very small. Hairs on the stem
are scratchy to the point of slight sting, and leave me with a rash. Worst
of all, snails don't eat it.

Duncan