Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default asparagus cages

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

Lately I have been frantically trying to help the asparagus from
falling over. So I build cages
made of old wood pallets. I found the wire cages do not fit without
damaging and that simple
wires are not enough support.

Every year I seem to run into this problem of asparagus falling over
and a nuisance
in walking around or trying to mow around. But I think I got it licked
this year. I get
old flimsy wood pallets and cut them into four smaller square pieces.
I like the flimsy
pallets for they are easier to cut into 1/4 sections. Then I take two
of these four
sections for a bunch of asparagus. I grab a hold of the bunch and
stand them
upright strait and then lean one of the sections on one side and the
other section
on the other side and with two small wires, I wire together the
sections. This leaves
almost no space for the asparagus stalks to move around for they are
tight against
the wood sides of those 2 sections. And they are easy to take down
since only
2 wires hold them together.

Now some may say a row of asparagus bounded by wood sections looks
unsightly
to them. And I would say that the falling over of asparagus is more
unsightly and
a nuisance in mowing.

Time it takes me to cut into 4 sections a wood pallet about 5 minutes
and the time
it takes me to fasten 2 pallets to a bunch of asparagus is about 2
minutes. So 7 minutes
in all to solve a bunch of asparagus. And the sections are reusable in
coming years. And
when the sections deteriorate I simply add them to the wood pile to
burn in the woodstove.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium