Old 10-06-2008, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Wilson[_2_] Chris Wilson[_2_] is offline

Default Recommendations for big diesel ride on mowers?

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 05:42:21 +0200, Emery Davis wrote:

Basically I've seen Iseki and Kubota. I've used 2 Kubotas (both pretty new
though) recently, a GR1600 (16 HP) and a GR2100 (21 HP). The basics are
the same on these two, motor aside, but the 16 is made with a cheap plastic
body that is very easy to break. And was broken, and I broke it a
little more.
The 21 was a good machine and I appreciated the extra power in heavy spring
grass. Both rear ejection. I also managed to blow a distribution belt
in the 16
when the deck got clogged up with wet grass, which is a non-starter for
me. I looked
on agriaffaires, the 21 seems to be around 5,500 pounds and up used.

Iseki seems to be a little more expensive, good machines no doubt.

There are a lot of used gray market Kubotas around now, that's where I'd
look if I
were you. I just bought a 1702DT import from Japan, but for large area and
woods maintenance, not lawn mowing. By and large they're good machines.

Good luck,

-E

I deal in a few grey import cars, hadn't considered that the Japs would be
sending over small mowers, too I'll bear that in mind, and for sure, i
would prefer the extra power and you suggest sturdiness of the larger
engined models. the downfall of the Iseki SG15 has been damage to the
plastic collector bag (3600 plus VAT for a new bag only...) and deck
mounting arm damage through me tending to overwhelm it at times by trying
to mow grass in our woodland. I will have a look at the 2 Kubota machines
you suggest, and out of curiosity, this 1702DT, too, thanks for the reply
Emery.