Old 06-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Roy

Default Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum)

Hi
I would agree with the others.
Why not consider a clematis..Montana variety quick growing , grows to 30' or
more masses of early flowers and easier to control if needs be.
roy

www.asmallwildlifegarden.co.uk
"bnd777" wrote in message
30 yrs back we had a neighbour who planted this on a trellis fence
Every single week I had to cut back 3ft fronds and when we dared to go

away
for 2 weeks we could not even walk down the sideway of our house
!!!!!!!!!!!!

"iamhere" wrote in message
om...
My father wants to cover a large wire fence quickly and I have come
across the above. I know it is a quick grower, I know it can be
invasive, but this is not a problem as long as you can kill it dead if
need be. In other words we want to try it out and if we find it to be
tooooo overwhelming we can get rid of it. How does it spread? Is it
by seed (hard to kill off) or by underground spread (hard to kill
off), or does it keep to its original stem and spread from there (if
you know what I mean!), and so easy to get rid of. Any help would be
appreciated.

Kathy