Old 10-06-2008, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
z z is offline

Default plastic mulch

On Jun 10, 1:02*am, Billy wrote:
Planting my starter green beans through clear plastic mulch
yesterday when I realized that it was very hot. Then I realized
that a third of the beans that I had planted had their leaves on
the plastic and that they were totally fried. I quickly placed
mulch around the rest and they survived. This is a cautionary
tale.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Barshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVTfcAyYGg&ref=patrick.nethttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aEo59c7zU&feature=related

clear plastic mulch gets very hot; much hotter than black mulch. in
fact, it's used to sterilize the soil and get rid of weed seeds,
verticilium, etc. I've tried it, but i can't find any clear plastic
that survives a summer of solar exposure. anyway, be careful with your
poor beans or they'll be precooked.