Old 11-06-2008, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default plastic mulch

In article ,
"kzin" wrote:

On 10-Jun-2008, Persephone wrote:

If so, I don't understand. Black absorbs the sun's rays rather than
reflecting them*. By that logic, more heat would be transmitted
to the poor leaves by black than by clear.

Look up how a greenhouse works. It has to do with trapping infrared light
between the earth and the plastic which rapidly heats the air by radiative
heating.
Clear plastic allows light through which can be reflected as infrared.
Black plastic does not.

ml

Strangely, I have pepper mint growing under the clear plastic.
Everything else is dead.

kzin's response is as good as any. I don't understand the thermodynamics
of the system but I can understand the empirical results.

Old saying, "logic is only as good as its' premise".
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~taber...pt%2000/redmul
ch.pdf

Look at tables II and III.
--