Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed/Plant identification.

"Duncan" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I wasn't able to view the original link as my computer's security said it
was a "dangerous site" and removed the original post too! So purely on
the description and the fact that Russel thinks it might be borage, I'll
have a tentative guess at Pentaglottis sempervirens - Green Alkanet,
especially if there are some small white spots on the leaves.
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/alkanet.htm
I have it myself and it is *very* invasive from self seeding. I don't
mind a few plants though because the bees love it.

HTH.

I've got the same weed, and decided it must be green alkanet as nothing
else matches. Like Christina, mine has white splotches on the leaves,
something the descriptions I found didn't mention and this made me wonder
about identification. Up the street, in the park, it doesn't have the
white spots.

I hate this plant.

Now, come on, there's no need to hate it!

It is invasive, both self-seeding and perennial.

Yes, I agree.

Tiny
seedlings are 3ft monsters within days.

I think you are exaggerating a bit! although they do grow well, don't they?
I just pull up most of the self-seeders and keep a few plants because the
bees like them so much.
It serves me right. One day, many years ago I was out for a walk with my
late mother, "Now there's a nice plant" I said. So she said "so why not dig
a small one up as there as so many here and take it back to your garden?"
So, quickly looking around for the wildflower police, I did.
I've never been able to get rid of them since ;-)