View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 11-06-2008, 04:02 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2008
Question Total newbie In the UK Phyllostachys Pubescebs ( Moso) for seeds

Ok i brought 50 Moso bamboo seed and they arrived today the only info i have is for Germination after that i have no info. these are the instructions i have.

Quote:
General sowing and cultivation method:
We would like to show you here a new sowing method, which is very easy to handle, and has shown great success in the germination results. This method can be used for all seeds.
There is no pretreatment of the seeds necessary. The seeds should be sown in cat litter. Please be very sure that you are using cat litter on mineral basis (plain clay) which is non clumping, non scented, and do NOT use the silica gel type, the clay-like or clay clumping type. The advantage, cat litter is absolutely germ-free.
Fill a plastic pot with cat litter and put the seeds on top. Then cover the seeds with a very thin layer of cat litter. Put the plastic pot inside a zipper lock closure type, pressure catch bag, which should be a bit larger than the plastic pot you are using. Fill with as much water (with fertilizer - use the recommended strength dilution of e.g. 10-10-10
water soluble house plant fertilizer) on the bottom of the bag as the cat litter can absorb, and then fill some more water (about 0.25 inch, or 6 mm) on the bottom of the pressure catch bag, which should remain enclosing the pot. Then seal the pressure catch bag closed.
Now you only have to take care about the temperature, around 86 F for bamboo seeds and between 68 F - 86 F for all other seeds and put the plastic bag in a place with enough bright daylight, but no direct sun.

It does not say how bigger gap to leave in-between each seed do i place them on there side or do i push them a little into the litter a little.

When/If they do start to grow how big should i leave them to get before i move them to soil.
How can i protect them against bugs. And how long should it be before they start to get going.

Thanks in advance.