Old 11-06-2008, 09:07 AM posted to aus.gardens
none none is offline

Default bean flies

Dan wrote:
Hi all,
I'm new here so I don't know if this subject has been discussed. Actually I
think I might have contributed to this group back in the 90s but it may have
been another gardening one. My question regards bean flies. The general
practice around here is to use Rogor, and that works well enough, but years
ago I was told that a weak solution of phenol sprayed at emergence and each
week for about four weeks worked even better. I would try it, but I cannot
remember what ratio phenol to water to use. I'm thinking on the lines of a
teaspoon to a litre. Does anyone use phenol in this way, and, if so, what
ratio is used. Thanks, Dan

My dad always said that hilling the beans helped to keep away the bean
fly. It doesn't seem to make sense but I still do it. Only ever had a
couple of beans die from bean fly.

Lionel.