Old 06-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Mike

Default Neighbours

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

We had a council mortgage for 30 years. When it was up we went to the Civic
Hall and expected the deeds to be handed over with fanfares, bells and
whistles. Instead the gormless girls looked vaguely at us and said, "Mr
Fisher?" and handed over the large envelope with no ceremony at all.

'All in a day's work for me. Next please.' :-((

We had to start all over again in 1986 due to a Business Crash....
thanks to Maggie :-((

I actually signed on the dole on my 50th birthday!! We just had enough
for the Deposit and worked hard :-))

Never mind, we went to the pub where a son worked and had a pint, he gave us
it because he might inherit a fifth of the estate one day.

Only a pint? Bit slow isn't he ;-}

My son in law doesn't intend leaving any to anyone. He has just up dated
his Rolls to one only 4 years old :-))

Then we looked at the deeds - they were absolutely fascinating. Although our
house was built on 'virgin land' it was land which had been prt of the
estate of a family at 'The Big House' and was fascinating - it wasn't just
the story of a house or even the plot but of a family with all its quarrels,
divisions and legal problems.

We have scoured ours and cannot work out when it was built. Like lots of
houses, the house was built on what was Church Land.

The lady next door but one was born in he house she is in and he is 88 I
think it is, so they must be over 100 years old.

We really don't know how the other half lives ...

Since then we've discovered archaeological finds from that estate but that's
another story.

All we seem to find in our garden is marbles!! Heaven above knows how
many, but there were 6 children here before :-(

Now just 'Darby and Joan',

well

Mike and Joan really ;-}

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more